CreativeExile

"Whatever shall we do in that remote spot? Well, we'll write our memoirs. Work is the scythe of time." --Napoleon Bonaparte, on his way into exile.

Friday, April 15, 2005

Raglan confusion


A bigger photo here, if you'd like to help! Posted by Hello

My MeetUp organizer, Lisa Putnam, strongly suggested I make a chart for the decreases on the front of my Pink Fluffy Cloud sweater for Tess. This after reading the instructions and declaring them "excellent." They may be, but this is my first sweater so I'm trying not to freak at the fact that the left side (as shown here, still on the needles) has more stitches than the right, and by my chart, is going to be several rows taller than the right as well.

If you're looking at the bigger photo, you can see on my chart that I ran out of paper at the top for the left side. That's how much bigger that side is going to be.

Now, I know there is a bit of a crossover at the V in the middle of the neck, but right now I'm wondering, should I go back and divide the stitches more evenly, or just keep knitting the left side, and the extra width and length will take care of itself in the crossover?

For now, the thought of un-knitting both sides is exhausting. In reality (not on the chart), I have about 5 stitches (my gauge is 4.75/inch, so -- an inch) of extra knitting along the side when I fold the front in half. I'm more worried about the extra length at the top. Could that much be eased in when I finish it?

Thank goodness it's just a little sweater for Tess. I think I'll set it aside for the moment and go back to my sock.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:23 AM, Blogger Kristine said…

    If you're ok with mistakes and don't feel like ripping it all down, then I would space 5 decreases (for the 5 extra stitches) along the left side. If you decrease on the v-neck, it will be pretty noticable. But it is pretty important that the height of the piece is the same.
    just a side note- you'll get better results if you rip- but this is another option.
    By the way- I'll be in Ann Arbor in 2 weeks (Sat and Sun) are there any knitting groups that you know of that are meeting up?

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger Kristine said…

    ok- I'm a total doofus and didn't read your most recent posts about how you ripped it and reknit- It looks great! And noone was harmed in the remaking ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home