CreativeExile

"Whatever shall we do in that remote spot? Well, we'll write our memoirs. Work is the scythe of time." --Napoleon Bonaparte, on his way into exile.

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

No ends to weave here...


Posted by Hello

I thought I was sooo smart...I said to myself when I picked up this sock again, "who could possibly go the wrong way knitting in the round? Not me!" The work always faces you, the yarn's always coming in from the right, who could mess that up?

Well, I did about two rounds last night before I noticed little purl bumps instead of smooth stockinette. All that reading about Peruvian knitters who carry with the left and string the yarn around their neck (with the wrong side facing) in the round must have scrambled my brain. Yeah, that's it.

I put it away for the night and went to sort out my scrapbooking/rubber stamping room instead. I went back to it this morning, unknit the purled rows, and got back on track.

The yarn is Fortissima Colori "Disco," kinda fine for my first sock, but I'm loving the stripes and colors without all the weaving. Only I'm using a pattern for Paton's yarn (same gauge) from the Patternwork's catalog, so the Fair Isle didn't come out on the ribbing. It's come back on the stockinette rows, though, so I can squint my eyes and overlook the muddled blue and white pattern up there at the top.

I'm doing a lot of squinting today, since I picked up my contacts yesterday. Man, I haven't worn these in over 6 years. The toric lens I've got in my right eye (to correct my astigmatism) is driving me insane. And somehow I've suddenly become farsighted; I have to hold things off to see them (reading, knitting, etc...). Annoying. Especially since computer work is nearly impossible until I get used to them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home