CreativeExile

"Whatever shall we do in that remote spot? Well, we'll write our memoirs. Work is the scythe of time." --Napoleon Bonaparte, on his way into exile.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Frogging and the Everglades

Sounds like they would be related. But alas, I'm talking about knitting (the first part of my title is, anyway). I went to my Tuesday night Knitting MeetUp and Lisa P, faithful organizer, helped me frog the front of my Pink Fluffy Cloud sweater. I was nervous about ripping back because the yarn is so fuzzy. When we ripped back the second side (the only side I finished), I did it myself, announcing that it would "make a woman of me." But I have to give credit where credit is due; Lisa P fearlessly picked up stitches for me on both sides without batting an eyelash.

Seems I decreased from 3 to 2 stitches on that first finished side, then, following directions (I thought), I knit a *total* of 26 stitches for the first side. However, I need to do 26 *more,* which would have given me the 28 stitches I needed on that side (and the 29 I needed on the other side, as opposed to 31). At least I know how I messed up. Valuable lesson learned.


Everglades layout (see it bigger here) Posted by Hello

Remember those postcards I bought? I scanned them, reduced them, and printed them out on inkject "fabric"/paper. Then I distressed them and sewed around the edges, and attached them to distressed shipping tags. As usual, I had a ton of photos from our Everglades tour, but reduced them down to five.

I cropped on Friday night, 7-11p, then again Sunday from noon-3:30p. Saturday I went to the antiques market in Saline; I didn't go until the afternoon, but I was glad to go at all. Four huge livestock barns, an outbuilding, and countless tents filled with antiques; I only got through the four barns. I am helplessly mezmerised by postcards, but shook myself awake and only bought $16 worth (I had about $50 worth in hand before I "woke up" and sorted them out). Then I spent waaay too much time at a booth with old newsphotos; I found some tennis photos and fashion photos from the 1920s, my favorite era.


Beatrix Blackwell, circa 1928 Posted by Hello

I've been trying to find information on this socialite (there's information on the back of each photo, a news "caption"). First I googled Beatrice Blackwell, then realized her name was spelled Beatrix. I completely forgot about "Trixie." Being on the social register and all, wouldn't she have a preppy nickname like that?

Off to find out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home