CreativeExile

"Whatever shall we do in that remote spot? Well, we'll write our memoirs. Work is the scythe of time." --Napoleon Bonaparte, on his way into exile.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Frustrations

I haven't been writing because I've been knitting...or rather, crocheting. The edge on my in-law's blanket, to be exact. Mom showed me how to crochet (again) while she was down here the weekend before last, and I've been struggling with it ever since.

Part of the problem is, I taught myself (about this time last year!) to crochet left-handed (I'm extremely left-handed). So I'm un-learning and learning at the same time. The good thing is, last year, after crocheting my mile-long scarf (which I never wear; Homespun in crochet is just too heavy and the scarf is truly too long) I got into knitting "instead." So maybe this year's lesson in crochet will drive me to new heights...in knitting.

I'm crocheting too tight (as I did with knitting when I first learned), so the edges are not calming down, despite pre-blocking them before finishing. One of the gals in my MeetUp knitting group has suggested Downy Wrinkle Releaser, spritzed on and left to dry, although this afghan is a bit big for that, I might be desperate enough to give it a try.

I did get a great new start on my Irish Hiking Scarf: I forgot I had two skeins of Brown Sheep's Cotton Fleece in a soft, off-white. I bought two skeins to play with gauge (I wanted chunky, and got 3.5 stitches to the inch on a #9 needle, with two strands held together), and with 200+ yards on each skein, I have more than enough left to finish my Hiking Scarf. It's turning out a bit loose, but soft and pretty and very Aran-looking in the off-white. Pictures soon.

Writing. Goodness. I haven't written a word (except for my daily diary) since the new year began. I took Julia Cameron's Vein of Gold out from the library (again...I really just need to buy it) and finally looked it over this morning. After finishing another glorious Rosamund Pilcher book, I realized Cameron was right about putting down your own Narrative Time Line - like Danielle Steele (not anyone I aspire to be, but a best-seller, like Pilcher), Pilcher, I've found, is writing her own life story (revolving around WWII; always a lost love, somebody perfect, main character comes into a chunk of money which eases early worries, etc. etc.) over and over.

It might help me clarify my writing if I put to paper my own life, with all it's ups and downs. As Cameron so eloquently puts it, "If our self is still hidden from our view, invisible and inaudible to us due to its being cloaked in the interpretation of others, we may quite naturally fear we have nothing to say."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home