CreativeExile

"Whatever shall we do in that remote spot? Well, we'll write our memoirs. Work is the scythe of time." --Napoleon Bonaparte, on his way into exile.

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

W.U.S.


Posted by Hello

World's Ugliest Scarf. I still need to get the fringe on it. It is ridiculously long -- I had a shot of it hanging around my feet (I took the picture standing up) but realized I still have my pajamas on at 1:30 in the afternoon. Well, Tess has a cold, so I have an excuse. She's actually napping -- a Pedicare-induced nap, but she needs it. As do I.

Now that I look at it, after a few months of knitting, I realize my scarf isn't that bad. I actually like the look of crochet, especially for afghans (must be my 70s roots showing), I just can't understand the directions. Plus, I made the mistake of teaching myself to crochet left-handed, but ran into problems moving on to granny squares (again, the 70s popped up their gas-shortage Watergate granny-squared heads). I found a woman to teach me granny square technique (a friend of my aunt's), and she only made me realize I taught myself completely wrong. Not just that I crochet left handed, but I work the hook like a pencil when you really need to work it like a sewing machine needle. A very fast, giant, stabbing needle. I may try again after I've knitted myself a couple of successful garments. I need to get my bad crocheting style out of my head first.


Crochet close-up Posted by Hello

I found someone else who dislikes novelty yarns, only for some reason she got in trouble for saying so. Sigh. Can't even knitters get along? Oh, and she's part of a group blog of knitters living in France. Talk about living vicariously. Although the only word I could understand of those who write in French was "d'automne." I need to work on that, too.

I had "work" to do this morning while Tess was playing quietly (as she usually does for an hour or so in the a.m. while I clean house or shower). One of my authors from my old job contacted me via email to look over her latest manuscript -- "just a little input," she asked, but I was unbelievably tickled that she thought to send it my way in the first place. God, I miss editing sometimes. Not the whole going-into-work, dealing-with-office-politics crap, just the pure editing groove.

Now it' time to take a shower while Peanut's sleeping and get into some real clothes. Pajamas at 1:30p. Sheesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home