CreativeExile

"Whatever shall we do in that remote spot? Well, we'll write our memoirs. Work is the scythe of time." --Napoleon Bonaparte, on his way into exile.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Granny squares cutie


Granny squares cutie
Originally uploaded by CreativeExile.

Before I took up knitting again in early 2004, convinced it was too hard for me, I tried crochet. I tried it because I really wanted to make a granny squares afghan.

Alas, I taught myself to crochet left-handed from a book, and when it came to granny squares (or any crochet instructions more complicated than chains), I threw my hook down in disgust.

I even had a crochet expert (a friend of my Aunt's who taught her how to crochet beautifully) try to teach me the Secret of the Square, but I wanted to go clockwise and it made me seriously dizzy to try and follow her counter-clockwise.

I have been on a search for the Perfect Granny Squares Afghan ever since. Before I found this one today, I found another one made out of thicker yarn, whose squares were not set on point like this one, for $120. The price alone sent me on to the next booth. And the next. And the next.

I was just getting ready to leave when I saw this one curled up in a basket outside a booth. The price was $45 (!). The vendor came out and helped me open it up, then said casually that he'd let me have it for $30.

I fell in love with the finer yarn and close-set colorful squares. The fact that the squares were set on point (and the new price) completely sold me.

It may even inspire me to try and crochet again...

2 Comments:

  • At 3:46 PM, Blogger vintage lilac said…

    I can barely crochet but that is my goal someday, to know how to do a granny square. (My grannies made them all the time when I was little.) I'm left-handed, too, so I'm sure it's a long time coming on that one.

    Amy/vintage lilac

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I started a purple, red and black granny square blanket when I was in the third grade! I have no idea where they are now..I just remember carrying around a plastic Mcdonald's box with my yarn and crochet hook!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home