CreativeExile

"Whatever shall we do in that remote spot? Well, we'll write our memoirs. Work is the scythe of time." --Napoleon Bonaparte, on his way into exile.

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

What's for dessert: Crumb Cake (and camping memories)

Crumb Cake
Mix together:
3C flour
2C sugar
1/2t nutmeg
1t cinnamon
1/4t cloves
Cut in:
1C oleo or butter, softened (I'm a butter fan for baked goods)
RESERVE 1C CRUMBS FOR TOPPING

Add to rest of crumbs:
1C buttermilk (or mix 2T vinegar + enough milk - at least 2% - to make 1C)
2 eggs
1t baking soda dissolved with a little vinegar

STIR WITH SPOON, NOT MIXER
Put into greased 9x13 pan or two 8" cake pans (round)
Sprinkle with reserved crumbs
Bake at 300 degrees (yup, that low) for 1 hour

I made this cake for Carrie's party and was delighted when she gave me back what was left, as they were heading out of town the next day. Mmm...crumb cake.

It's a childhood recipe that instantly reminds me of our Lutheran church and the camping "club" we belonged to there. Crumb cake, along with camping cocoa (a horrible blend of cocoa and -UGH- dry milk) immediately brings back memories of rainy (without fail!) Memorial Day weekends, the smell of canvas and campfires, and the silence of fishing with my Dad.


Lake Chemung, 1969 Posted by Hello

Just the thought of getting 4 (!) kids together with camping gear makes me tired. I don't know how Mom did it. Then again, in this early trip, we rented a cabin, but still. Camping with four kids! That's one of my older brothers and my baby sister. I'm the one with toothpick legs, wearing the U of M sweatshirt. Spooky, huh?

E's main redeeming quality, in my Dad's eyes, is that he is a U of M grad. Dad was a huge Wolverines football fan from way back. Dad's biggest disappointment is that none of his kids managed to go there. Now I'm living in the backyard of the Big House, and both Dad and I have been to a home game, a dream come true for my Dad.

On the relationship front, E let it slip last night (when I shared my plans to knit at Zingerman's with the MeetUp group tonight) that he had arranged for a babysitter (surprise!) and wanted to take me out to dinner instead. I've been on his case about more romance (surprise is a major element for me) so this has already perked up my mood (and his, he was grinning ear to ear about his "secret" last night). Now if I just had something classy AND warm to wear...!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger sUsAn said…

    mmmm...crumb cake...love that nostalgic photo! What a nice surprise to get to go out for dinner!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home