CreativeExile

"Whatever shall we do in that remote spot? Well, we'll write our memoirs. Work is the scythe of time." --Napoleon Bonaparte, on his way into exile.

Friday, January 28, 2005

Startitis and Secret Pals

Yes, I have it. Startitis, as described by Bonnie Marie. I cleaned out my knitting box today (well, so far, only a box..and -gulp- 5 bags!) and I have 7 things in various stages of "started:"

1. Irish Hiking Scarf (my personal favorite WIP at the moment)
2. The Afghan (SOON to move to the FO list, swear to God!)
3. Green scarf (actually an FO) and hat (not yet started, really) set
4. Colori socks (one started...panicking...first socks, on toothpick needles!)
5. Cup cozy (have ripped twice, can't figure out double increase)
6. Yarn Girls hooded V-neck sweater (back started)
7. Black garter stitch-trimmed cardigan (swatch started)

I'll need Mom's help on the socks (she's already tried with the cup cozy), so that's a project for my Florida luggage...since the needles are metal, I can't take them on the plane. I don't think I'll really be able to knit on the plane anyway, not with a three year-old along. Eeeesh, what were we thinking? Well, we were thinking of not driving this year...now, what exactly do you do in an enclosed space for three hours with a 3 yo? Besides buying drinks for everyone else on the plane?!

I'm really bummed that I didn't get in on the Secret Pal 4 swap. Only because I'm clueless, not because they're mean, or anything. I've seen the Fiber RAOK group, but don't think I read enough knitting blogs to be clued in to everyone (anyone, except Michelle!) on that list. But I love the questions for the SP swap. I'll answer them anyway, just because they're fun. Is that legal?

Props to Minxxy, Michelle, and Plath, who do have a clue!

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high- end/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I'm allergic to wool (not severely, just annoyingly, I'm okay if I layer) and especially to mohair (can't come within 5 feet of it!), but I don't care for 100% acrylic (so no on Red Heart). I was a LB Wool Ease fan, until I tried to block it. I'm intrigued by LB Landscapes and their Thick N Quick Chenille. I love, love, love silk yarns, and I'm very intrigued by linen, bamboo, and soy yarns.

I have been trying to find a nearby supplier for Adrafil's "Jumping" yarn, which I bought up north at a YS my mom frequents. Four hours is a long drive for yarn, but I love this stuff. Especially the red. I've done too many baby hats in Jumping's mint green to look at that color ever again!

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I used to think I'd like to learn to spin, until I took inventory of my WIPs. Let me get my first sweater done, 'k? And I taught myself to crochet left-handed, but it proved weird and difficult, as is trying to re-learn righthanded. Sigh.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
I absolutely hate the smell of stale cigarette smoke. Otherwise, no on any other scent-related allergies. See wool allergies, above.

4. How long have you been knitting?
Since roughly June 2004 - started again after a 12-year hiatus with a fun-fur scarf for my massage therapist (I still need to give it to her! Bad gift knitter! Bad!)

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, but I hesitate to share it. Did when I was pregnant and somebody whined about me being greedy (asshole)! Gunshy.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Coconut. Vanilla. Citrus. No florals but lilacs, which are a sentimental favorite.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Dark chocolate, baby. Sour candies, gummy bears. Jelly Bellies. Sour Jelly Bellies!

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Scrapbooking and rubber stamping.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I wouldn't know an MP3 if it bit me on the ass. I have RealPlayer installed, but not all CDs work on it.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?
Earthtones, black, rich purples, magenta, deep blue-greens. Hell, all greens except kelly. Pink & orange. Red (bluish, not orangey).

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
One 3 yo daughter and 30-something hubby. No more cats, thanks. A dog next. I'd love a horse (in my dreams).

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
To have a second child, live to a ripe old age with my hubby, and enjoy grandkids someday. Live someplace warm. Maybe write a novel.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Silk/wool or cotton/wool blends.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Novelty yarns, multicolored boucles.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
My first sweater and this crazy cup cozy.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
So far, hats. Hopefully, socks & sweaters!

17. What are you knitting right now?
See my WIP list, above! I'm obsessed with finishing my first sweater.

18. What do you think about ponchos?
I made myself one but I can't carry my backpack purse when I'm wearing it, so it's turned out lovely but rather useless. I'm greatly intrigued by shawls and lace knitting...

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Straight, unless it's a hat.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Bamboo or metal, oddly enough! I love Inox needles. I've heard a lot about Addi Turbos but dang, they're expensive!

21. Are you a sock knitter?
Not yet. I have a book on socks done in sport weight yarn that looks waaaay easier than these damn #1 toothpicks I am working on right now!!!

22. How did you learn to knit?
My friend Kevin. I still have a sweater he designed and left to me when he took off for San Francisco in 2000.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
12-15 years old (when I first learned to knit), but it has been well and truly "rewired" for WIP #6, at top.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
My daughter is a die-hard Disney Princess fan, but I have lately found myself strangely intrigued by Tinkerbell. Go figure.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
Halloween.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Not if I have to dust it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home