CreativeExile

"Whatever shall we do in that remote spot? Well, we'll write our memoirs. Work is the scythe of time." --Napoleon Bonaparte, on his way into exile.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Wedding shawl


The shawl of shame
Originally uploaded by CreativeExile.

It's rolling along. And yes, even I can screw up a simple garter-stitch shawl, by doing really dumb first-time knitter things like adding yarn in the middle of a row (it was late, and I was tired). I have artfully draped away the evidence (hole, and knot of yarn) in this photo. Oh, the shame.

I have put this on circular needles at last, and entered the Black Hole of Shawl Knitting, whereby you knit for hours and seemingly get nowhere.

The bridal shower is next weekend, and I have jury duty next week. Why is it that the federal government now allows us to take knitting needles on planes, yet the county courthouse still declares on its voice mail that "anything which can be used as a weapon will be confiscated"? And yes, they go on to list knitting and crochet needles as such future Instruments of Death.

Not that I would knit while in the jury box (oh, but if I could!!). That's a bit too Madame DeFarge, and I'm sure would be seen as a major distraction to the plantiff, defendant, et. al. If only they understood I actually listen better while knitting...until, of course, the OBVIOUSLY GUILTY, JUST LOOK AT HIM/HER defendant jumps into the jury box and stabs me in the head with one of my own needles.

Okay, okay. No knitting in the courthouse. I'll just have to rely on my outdated social attitudes to get me out of jury duty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home