CreativeExile

"Whatever shall we do in that remote spot? Well, we'll write our memoirs. Work is the scythe of time." --Napoleon Bonaparte, on his way into exile.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Back at the hospital


At the hospital
Originally uploaded by CreativeExile.

Looks like he's on a beach vacation, doesn't it?

The idea of scrapbooking Ben's return to the hospital -- for bililight treatment of serious jaundice -- helped me keep my sense of humor throught this ordeal.

He was very sluggish on Thursday, our first full day home, and when I noticed his eyes were yellow, we made an immediate appointment at the pediatricians.

Sure enough, his bilirubin level was 20 (15 is cause for treatment, 25 starts possible permanent damage), so we rushed him through ER Thursday night where they had a room waiting for him.

I was on my own Thursday night/Friday morning, as we didn't have overnight arrangments for Tess; Friday night/Saturday morning E was able to come in and help, that was a vast improvement for my own recovery.

We stayed all day Saturday as his level Saturday morning was still 13.9; it dropped to 11.1 by Saturday afternoon and we felt better about coming home.

The good news is, I had a wonderful day nurse on Friday who kept me on track with nursing, reminding me every 3 hours when it was time and generally keeping my spirits up.

She also taught me little tricks and tips for boys -- like folding over the top of their diaper so they don't pee right out of it, that boys nurse more "efficiently" than girls (so far, very true), that her own son hit a level of 22 and just graduated from high school 13th in his class.

So good to be home.

6 Comments:

  • At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations Denise,
    He looks big! How was your birth and such. How much did he weigh? What a relief to be home and finally have the two healthy kids you've hoped for. Miss knitting with you. Let me know when and if you'd like a visit. Zuvuya and Luda love seeing new babies, and I think Tess would like them a lot. Best wishes, Elisha
    Miss Julie has our number.

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah yes...make sure his firehose points down as well before securing the diaper. I'm glad Ben is doing better.

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger Tracey Odachowski said…

    First of all, congrats on his birth! He's a big guy! Blessings and prayers to you all during his hospitalization; my son was treated for jaundice, too, and he is now a thriving 6 year old!

     
  • At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Poor Ben and poor you (though he does look like it's a day at the beach)! Glad to hear things are better now.

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger Carla said…

    He's such a big boy - my son had jaundice too, although not high enough for the lights (even though the pediatrician threatened it). I think he only went up to 17 or 18. Glad you're home!

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your son is beautiful! Hang in there! All will be well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home