CreativeExile

"Whatever shall we do in that remote spot? Well, we'll write our memoirs. Work is the scythe of time." --Napoleon Bonaparte, on his way into exile.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Fairy Socks

I was going to go in with Kate on another Knit Picks order, and get the #0000 needles and pattern I needed for sock "earrings," but I realized I've knit enough socks (3 different kinds) to figure this out for myself.

So...off to Flying Sheep yesterday, to get the needles (and another skein of Summer Tweed, in Denim, for The Stole: 11 skeins down, 13 to go...).

The gal who rang me up said they use the #0000s for beading. The box said "lace needles." Since they were listed in the Knit Picks catalog alongside their sock yarn and the earring pattern, I decided to go for it, using the scraps I have from my first pair of (human-sized) socks (it has a little silver sparkle...you know how fairies love the sparkle).

Naturally, with self-striping yarn, you aren't going to get two matching socks, although I may try again when I get to the end of my second skein. There is a repeating pattern to the yarn, after all.

I think these would actually be a bit large for fairies, but there is no way I could go smaller with sock yarn. My lace weight silk from Japan, possibly. But I love the sparkle in my Fortissimo Disco yarn.

Too fun.

Knit In on Tuesday was great, even though it was Jen's last visit with us before she moves to D.C. I scurried off after the meeting to talk Harry Potter theories with her and Kim, well out of Emily's hearing range, since she hasn't read #6 yet.

Oh, BTW, looky who I Myers-Brigged out to be in the HP universe. Hmm...I always thought I was an INFP, not INFJ. Oh well, there's only 20 questions, instead of the standard 500. Props to Kim for the quiz link.

And Jillian (aka "Lupin,"an INFP) was kind enough to give me her advanced reading copy of a new (not-yet-published) sock book I sat drooling over at the meeting (very Perceptive). A year and a half away from BSC, and my free book mojo is still working!

Full of history (most of which I've read before in A Social History of Knitting...yes, I'm a geek, I read that one about 15 years ago, when I should have been busy knitting...Warren gave it to me as a gift...he knew me well), I've got dreams of lovely sock patterns in my head. Now to finish all those Second Socks I've got waiting.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:37 PM, Blogger Kimberly said…

    hee! love the fairy socks! did you write down what ya did, or just wing it?

     
  • At 8:01 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Yea, if you write it down, could you send me a copy? My kids are insane about the fairy doors and we are continuing the myth by building fairy furniture in the garden (benches made of twigs, etc.)

    And nice to know another Dumbledore! That's who I came up as too :)

     
  • At 9:29 PM, Blogger FaeryCrafty said…

    Too cute!! I love them!

     
  • At 10:29 AM, Blogger Denise said…

    I scribbled down some dubious directions as I did the second sock, but I have to put them into a more readable format...I'd love to have folks try the pattern for themselves, and make corrections. Turning that heel requires a serious amount of red wine, BTW...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home