CreativeExile

"Whatever shall we do in that remote spot? Well, we'll write our memoirs. Work is the scythe of time." --Napoleon Bonaparte, on his way into exile.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

My heroes


To answer your question, YES, I have been knitting along as usual. Finished the second sock for Lora and Joe's next baby (due sometime this month, but this whole project, hat and socks, turned out HUGE so I'm not worried about giving it to them before he or she is born...). Note how I artfully arranged one sock over the other, so that you don't notice that one sock is longer than the other. Oops. Let it slip. Still, you can't see it, right? So maybe I'm lying.

These were made from Knit Picks Shine yarn, which is incredibly soft. Perfect for baby stuff; I just needed to get the gauge right. Oops.

I got a haircut today and my hairdresser, the fabu Charlie at Salon XL, just got back from the New Orleans area last night. They drove down on Friday, carrying 50 gallons of gasoline with them, as they were advised there are no open gas stations within 200 miles of NO. She and her husband have friends down there they helped out. Favorite item they brought? Tiki torches, and extra fuel for them. Who knew?

We were talking about pots (as in, L'Oreal's "pots" of conditioner that Charlie has me addicted to - thanks a lot, Charlie) and Charlie joked that she really wishes she could have brought some of that herb down for her friends, "Because they need some serious relaxing down there." We talked about how stupid people were for stealing plasma TVs, "like they're going to let you take that on the bus to Houston," but that some folks could forgive those who stole necessities such as diapers, food, water, even liquor, with a "whatever gets you through the night," kind of philosophy.

I finally gave up my fairy socks tonight. Made a little card to go with. I tied them to the journal Jonathan left (there's a journal at each fairy door location; I only did socks for the Sweetwaters' door). If they sell well in the fairy store at Peaceable Kingdom, perhaps I'll just have to make more.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:21 PM, Blogger sUsAn said…

    That hat and sock set is adorable! I know what you mean about doing something tangible. I've been working on a smallish crocheted blanket to donate to Project Linus (hopefully) for the folks who are coming to Philly from the Gulf coast. Even if I don't get it finished in time for those folks, I know that a child in need will get it.

     
  • At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pssssst! I saw the socks you made for the fairies IN the "store"...but I really don't think the fairies are selling ANYthing. Seems more like they are hording stuff. There are more shelves and more things in there than ever before.

    They don't seem to have a clue about conducting business. They are rarely there and as far as I know have never been "open".

    My observations indicate they don't have our concept of property and don't use money for commerce. I think they are just playing at having a store.

     
  • At 12:32 AM, Blogger Denise said…

    And it's such a great store! Who can blame them for collecting the shiny things they love. --Oh, and I took care of your extra "typos" ;)

    Can't wait to see the socks through the fairy window...now, if I can just avoid that loooong Table O'Toys at Peaceable Kingdom...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home