CreativeExile

"Whatever shall we do in that remote spot? Well, we'll write our memoirs. Work is the scythe of time." --Napoleon Bonaparte, on his way into exile.

Monday, August 22, 2005

I'm officially an HP Geek...


I'm joining the Prisoner of Azkaban scarf knitalong. Late, but in earnest. I hope to have it done by the 4th movie's release in November (true geekdom: wearing Harry Potter gear to a showing of a movie...and no, I refuse to wear a robe or pointy hat). This pattern is much more subtle than the scarlet and gold "blocks" version from the first two films, which I never liked. The second I saw the "trapped bars" version, I wanted to make it. Except perhaps not as long. I don't care for scarves that long (85"...yikes!)

Since I got a 20% discount for mentioning my birthday at Old Village Yarn Shoppe (I asked in complete innocence when I saw their desk calendar and thought, "why not?"), I'm using 4 skeins of Plymouth Encore color #999 (more of a burgundy than a scarlet, but hey -- it's my scarf, and it matches the colors in the film) and 3 of Dalegarn Heilo color #1405 (a better gold than they had in Encore). The gal who rung me up thought I was making a Central Michigan scarf. Heh.

Yes, I know, Plymouth Encore is 25% wool/75% acrylic and the Dalegarn is 100% wool, but the gauges match and it's a scarf, so I don't plan on washing it as regularly as a sweater. We'll see how it goes as I knit it.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, man, I might have to start knitting. It's been about 20 years since my sweater disaster--I bet enough time has passed that I'm over the trauma.

    Would you still talk to me if I went with Slytherin colors?

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Denise said…

    Of course! No matter what the house, any excuse to come out to Plymouth & go to Old Village Yarn Shoppe is good enough for me (hint, hint)...

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have a yarn shop here? Who knew? Since the quilt shop in Old Village closed, I don't get over there much. Sounds like an expedition is in order!

    And I'm not really a Slytherin--I've just got a fascination with the dark side. (I have variously been sorted as a squib, a Hufflepuff, and a Ravenclaw. Augh.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home